A guest post by Maggy Woodley of Red Ted Art
It is well known that toddlers love to listen to stories and fairy tales. To extend storytelling time, we prepared a number of simple crafts perfect for toddlers and preschoolers to enjoy. The common ground for all of these crafts is simplicity and inexpensive materials needed to complete the craft project.
Some of the materials and tools needed for crafting:
- Construction paper
- Origami paper
- Glue stick
Letâ€™s get down to crafting! Pick which of these fantastic crafts for toddlers you would like to try first!
- Most kids know about 3 Little Pigs fairy tale and love it. We created an easy paper house to match the story for toddlers to use as they play and retell this famous fairy tale.
- Flowers are very common crafting theme. No wonder, since they can match many themes and occasions. Make simple origami tulips as an easy beginner to origami project. Use finished flowers for diorama, greeting cards or stick them into summer or spring sensory bin. We featured origami tulips in our newly released Easy Paper Projects book.
- Another super simple origami project for toddlers are origami bunnies. Perfect for spring or Easter crafting session with little ones! You can opt to use either plain to patterned origami paper. Kids will love seeing how same craft can have a completely different look depending on used paper!
- You surely made and played with paper boats when you were a child?! Pass the tradition! Show your toddlers how to make their own paper boats and throw a little competition when completed!
- Some crafts are easy to complete with templates. We have such a printable template your toddlers can use to make their own little dragon puppets! Fun and perfect storytelling prompt!
- Another dragon and another printable for you! Print and assemble dragon masks for hours of pretend play! Kids will surely love pretending to be dragons! You can use these masks for Halloween or masked party!
- Mobiles as always fun to look at! Going by the same principle, make fall leaves twirlers with toddlers and decorate any space for fall season!
- Kids love to pretend play to be kings, princes or queens and princesses! Invite them to decorate their own paper crowns and make playtime even more meaningful and fun!
- Not sure about you, but we always have some paper tubes saved in our recycle bin! For beanstalk craft, paper tube from wrapping paper is perfect match!
- One of the all time favourite stories for toddlers is probably The Very Hungry Caterpillar! No wonder toddlers will enjoy making their own little hungry caterpillars with this simple cut, glue and paste craft!
Do you like simple and easy paper crafts like the ones we shared here? We surely do! We also love a new book published by our friend Maggy from Red Ted Art called Easy Paper Projects Book. Filled from cover to cover with simple and inexpensive paper based crafts for everyday crafting as well as seasonal projects. If you are looking for a way to spend more meaningful time as a family, crafting sessions with kids are sure to provide fun family time and memory making opportunities!